Supply Chain Security
Respectful, collaborative relationships with carefully selected suppliers cultivated over decades have resulted in the kind of mutual trust and transparency that affords GSM superior responsiveness and security in meeting our customers’ needs.
Our Adaptive Scheduling capability, made possible by these relationships, is a key reason customers look to GSM to help them manage their demand and internal capacity fluctuations. Continuous improvements in our organizational and manufacturing structures and our state-of-the-industry MRP/ERP system and electronic date interfaces (EDI) not only insure that this capability continues to be a core competitive advantage for us, but affords our customers and suppliers a significant strategic advantage by providing the flexibility that complex demand dynamics require. The key is to simplify the process, using best-in-class suppliers who care as much about us as a customer as we care about our customers.
“When you shrink the supply chain, you make it less complex. You take out distance. You take out time. You take out variability. When you do that you are minimizing the risk.”
– Gene Long, VP of Industry Supply Chain, Chainalytics, in EBN June 2014
At GSM, excellent relationships and flexibility have been crucial to our ability to adapt to change. By serving fewer and better customers and using fewer and better suppliers we can focus on anticipating needs, engage in scenario planning to maintain agility and better respond to the complex demand dynamics, threats, advancements in technology, and fluctuations in raw material prices that impact our customers’ profitability and brand perceptions.
Structural advantages that enhance supply chain safety and security:
- Multiple plant locations
- Established relationships with friendly competitors for back-up supply in case of critical breakdown
- Multiple qualified sources for materials and outside processing
- Leading edge manufacturing facilities that support efficiency and a highly motivated team of fabricators
- Machine redundancy
A variety of specialized services:
- Safety stock program
- Distribution of kitted packages direct to job sites for field installations
- 140,000 square foot warehouse & fulfillment capacity
- Returnable container program
Effective programs that enhance supply chain safety and security:
- Raw materials stocking programs at suppliers
- Web portal which provides suppliers with real-time demand and 12-month forecasts
- Shop-floor release of incoming steel shipments
- Finished goods safety stock at customer request